Sunday, October 19, 2008

I don't know...

I have learned some truths the hard way recently. One of them is that Muslim's don't think. I know all of you are gasping and shaking your heads at this revelation of my apparent intolerance, but I can back up this statement. When I came to Egypt I feel safe in saying that I had a very open mind about my experience here, including the role of Islam in Egyptian culture. But after nine weeks I can tell you all with certainty, that Islam isn't doing anyone any good here. It teaches absolute adherence without question, and therefore it comes as know surprise that nobody thinks. Whenever it comes to light that I am American, the Egyptian response is always: "I like Americans, but not their government." The reason for this is simple. The United States is a strong supporter of Israel, and Egyptians hate Israelis--a lot. Why? Because they were taught to. They don't even know why. It is the same with any given topic. They Like or dislike this or that only because that is the way they were taught. To think for one's self is not only discouraged, but according to Islam it is virtually forbidden. Even the word Islam means 'one who submits'. I am eternally grateful that I was born into a nation that encourages free thought. I am equally thankful that I am part of a religion that has firm reasoning for its teachings. I never appreciated these things as much as I do now.
Another point of frustration is the dysfunction and deceit that permeates life here. 9 out of 10 people on the street are out to take advantage of any situation. I find many friendly people wherever I go, but I have discovered that this friendliness is only a facade for alterior motives. Anyone is willing to be your friend--for a fee. Even amongst the students I am vigilant of over-friendliness. Too often the students try to become your favorite only to gain some sort of special treatment. I am sad to say that I trust few people here.

So that's my rant. Hope you enjoyed it. And now onto something new...

A couple weekends ago I had the privilege to go with the ministry team to the village of Massra, a place about 6 hours south of Cairo. On Friday morning Eric, Myself, and 10 others crowded into a minibus for the long trek there. The scenery was generally boring along the way, although I did get my first glimps of the Western Desert (All I can say is that there's a lot of sand out there). Stepping out of the door in Massra was like going back in time. Mud-brick buildings lined a quiet street along which men in traditional robes strode past and donkeys trotted complainingly. Our group stayed with the only Adventist family in town. Their abode was a large three-story structure occupied by three brothers and their respective families. In all, four generations were represented under one roof. The family made a living by raising crops, cows, and pigeons. The latter of these were raised in the house, giving a curious odor to the place.
But what the house lacked in amenities, the people made up for in hospitality. I had heard stories about the way in which guests were treated in Upper Egypt, but I never expected them to be so true. At meal times they would herd all of the guests into a separate room set out with a veritable smorgazboard of food. After we had eaten our fill, the family would come in to eat what was left over. When we met together in the main room it was a time for stories, songs, and laughter. My only regret from the weekend was that I didn't bring an extra camera battery, and so when my battery died prematurely I was forced to finish the weekend sans photographs. oh well.

So until next time, I'll be here, where will you be?

1 comment:

gavbro said...

Mannn. Sounds like you're still having plenty of adventures!

By the by, you write beautifully! Haha.. before long we'll see articles in National Geographic written AND photographed by Monte VT!